Sunday, February 26, 2012

Soap-Another Obsession

Happy Sunday to you all. As I was researching the laundry soap recipe I found lots of articles on making regular bar soap. I was intrigued with the whole process. So began another obsession for me. I began reading everything I could get my hands on about making soap. At present count I believe I've read 9 books. Anything the library had I requested. (The librarian is starting to look at me kinda funny.)It was amazing to me how many You Tube videos I found too. I lost count of how many of those I watched.
The ingredients are pretty accessible-just oils mostly form the grocery store. but one thing kept me from jumping in LYE. Yep the ingredient that kept me stymied was the thing that makes soap soap. It reacts with the oils in a chemical reaction that manufactures soap. Ok I know what you're thinking. Why put that in your soap. It's in all soap. We just aren't seeing the word lye. They use it's chemical name. Sodium Hydroxide. But I digress. So I pulled up my big girl pants and went looking for Lye. Did you know you can make crystal meth and a bomb with Lye?? I didn't... but I do now.
You should have seen the looks on people's faces when I asked if they carried it. You know that MasterCard commercial PRICELESS.
Nough said.
In the end I sent for a beginners kit. Bought all the utensils and waited for the arrival of my ingredients.

Here's my first attempt at soap making. It has a Cranberry Fig fragrance. It's not the prettiest soap I've ever seen but for my first attempt I'm pleased. It went through all the chemical processes it was supposed to. It sat for 24hours and then I could cut it. I didn't like the long skinny bars so I switched to more of a rectangular shape.




Here is a close up of a cut bar.

Now it has to cure for 4-6 weeks before I can use it.
I have so many pretty bars pinned on my Pinterest board that I can't wait to try more. I'm thinking as I make more and get into it more I'll do Soapy Sunday posts.
I have been bitten by the bug.
The possibilities are endless.
I'll have the cleanest family on the block.
There's so many oils and fragrances as well as other natural ingredients that I can't wait to start more types. I'm thinking Honey Oatmeal, Goats milk and Honey, Pumpkin Spice. The ideas are endless.

Enjoy your day.
Rhonda

No comments: