Thursday, March 12, 2009

If You Give a Mouse A Cookie




If any of you know the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" you'll get a glimpse into my day today. Since I was off today I promised myself I was going to get a couple of projects finished. The first one I finished was my Early Pincushion. It is a pattern from Sue Spargo Folk Art Quilts. I made one for Rondell and had to have one for myself. The hardest problem is the beading. Each small round flower is beaded. The vase has blue beads on it also. It is pretty good size...8 inches round. I ran out of emery so I cut open several of those generic tomato and strawberry pincushions I had lying around and used the wooden shavings out of them. But as I cut them open I made a mess all over my ironing board........ Off to get the sweeper...... After I finished the pincushion I had to sweep up all the spilt shavings.



Next I had been promising the girls lunch bags. I had seen one on the internet I liked and thought I could probably adjust the size and make a pattern for myself. I couldn't see buying the pattern......
My first mistake. Then I made it out of an old feedsack because I thought Emily would like the pattern since she's into Vera Bradley things. Wrong !!!She didn't like anything about it. Especially since it was out of "old" feedsacks.

So she gave me a suggestion of what she was thinking of and I tried making that. When I ran into trouble with a seam I called a good friend and she drove over to help me out. (aren't friends great)

But this one is wayyyyy to small. It wouldn't even hold the small water bottle she takes in her lunch. Back to the drawing board again. At least I made progress though. She liked the print and the shape.

So if you've not read "if you give a Mouse a Cookie" before the story revolves around the snowball effect......one thing leads to another.

I'm off to try my 3rd lunch bag. Wish me luck. I'm beginning to think I should have just bought the Vera Bradley one!

Rhonda

4 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hey Rhonda,
Love the early pincushion you did such great work! I do know I love mine and it's always right near me when I craft.
I have a Vera Bradley and I use it every summer... they wear very well:)
Rondell

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh yes, I know that book and if you give a Moose a Muffin and others well. Love them and indeed I know that snowball effect. Happens to me all the time.

Love that pincushion - it;s beautiful!

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

Hi Rhonda,
I LOVE your pincushion, Loved the one you made for Rondell as well :)Just beautiful!
All your work is so great!

Have a great weekend.

Hugs-Kath

Ann said...

I love the first bag you made. especially because it's from an old feedsack.

We have if YOU GIVE A MOOSE A MUFFIN. I'm pretty sure it's the same story as yours. My house is like that too. IF my kids get a cookie then they want milk, they spill the milk and need to change clothes. BUT the pants they change into our missing a button.... and so on!


Love the pin cushion ,one of these days i will try working with wool.