Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Train Platforms

Every year the end of Nov and the beginning of Dec we see a side of my DH that lays dormant for the rest of the year. My DH comes form a family of 6 boys and 1 girl. For 29 years the boys(now men) have had a contest to see who can make the best train platform. Now over the years this has taken on many forms. When thay still lived at home some were even built over top of their beds. My hubby was 16 when they started. (I'll have to find that picture and post it.) I am so proud to see evolution of hubby through these boards as well. From that very first train board after I met him to today I can see his growth and maturity. He spends countless hours in the planning and execution of this each year. This year has brought a new dynamic. I found him teaching Em how to paper machie last evening. It was such a great moment.

There are 20 grandchildren in my hubby's side and only a handfull are interested in any form with joining in with their dads. (His sister doesn't participate but I will explain her role on a later day.)
This was a milestone in our lives. In the past he has always allowed the girls to do small things with the board like help in the planning ,choosing a theme(winter,fall,etc)or placing trees or people. But this year to be instructed in the fine art of sculpting mountains (tongue in cheek) was a huge leap toward maturity for Em.
She will be able to proudly boast that she "helped" build the mountains. Which in this family counts for something. Most of her uncles will compliment or instruct her on judging night. Oh yes we have an annual tradition of the Friday before Christmas all going from house to house then having food (of course) at the last house and passing on the coveted trophy to the new Railrider president. (Yes there is an official "club" for the 6 of them.)There has been some years when my DH's older brothers wanted to do the judging alone and exclude the rest of us. But I fought that because our girls were little and they needed to share in the tradition. And at this point the older brothers kids were getting older and weren't as thrilled with the traveling around. But we felt and still feel that family tradition is something we don't have a lot of these days so we wanted to give our girls all we could. Here's the last picture of the other end of the board. I will post progress as the month goes on.
But I must be careful what I post as the spies may be checking my blog to see what my DH has up his sleeve this year.

Have a wonderful and creative day.
Rhonda

4 comments:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

What a great tradition, Rhonda! I love how you each visit one another's homes and enjoy the creativity of each. Wonderful! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Blessings,
Lea

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Hi, saw your blog name at Pickets and loved it... what a great tradition is right, those are the memories that last a lifetime!!

Picket said...

hello friend...What an beautiful tradition and I love that you go from house to house like that and how sweet is that for your beautiful daughter to get in on the tradition making with her dad..I think it is such a blessing when brothers & sisters stay close..that is one thing I am so thankful for with my kids..they are extremely close..lordy the 3 Burly Boys are so close you couldn't get a hair between them! lol lol Good luck to your hubby this year on the contest! Thanks for coming by and I hope you have a great week!

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

HI Rhonda-
how great...i think this is awesome! Can't wait to see it all done...

have a great day!

hugs-Kath